Punjab is a border state; because of its prosperity, it attracts a large number of migrants from different states who work both in the industrial and agricultural sectors. Also, there is a rising trend of zero-positivity among the persons tested in the state’s Integrated Counseling and Testing Centres (ICTCs) (from 1.33% in the year 1998 to 8.81% in the year 2004).All these make Punjab a highly vulnerable state and have the potential to shift its status from a low prevalent state to a medium prevalent state if not a high prevalent state by 2011. The HIV in addition to the clinical factors has certain social factors attributing to the vulnerabilities.It is the socio-political environment of the state and its geographical placement of sharing international (Pakistan) and interstate borders (Jammu and Kashmir to the North, Himachal Pradesh to the Northeast, Haryana to the South and Southeast and Rajasthan to the Southwest) that makes it an important state in the HIV context making it vulnerable to the infection in selected districts. The vulnerability is also attributed to huge concentration of high-risk groups (Female Sex Workers, Men Having Sex with Men and the Intravenous Drug Users) and bridge population (Migrants and Truckers) in the state.
AEA started the TI project in Jalandhar in partnership with Punjab State AIDS Control Society (PSACS) in 2010. The project started with the task of registering 500 IDUs from the project area and providing them regular support in order to minimize the spread of HIV infection. Jalandhar being a major city is influenced by drug addiction and has large number of Injected Drug Users (IDUs) population.
- To provide information on HIV/AIDS, STIs, safe sexual and injecting practices to the IDUs and their spouses through Inter personal communication.
- To promote usage of safe Needles and Syringes among IDUs of the project area in order to help them in adopting safe injecting practices
- To promote usage of condoms to ensure safe sexual practices among IDUs and their spouses
- To provide quality STI treatment to identified IDUs with one of the STI symptoms
- To create enabling environment in order to facilitate sustained behaviour change
- Motivation to HRGs and awareness about the use of safe syringes & contraceptives.
- Increase in the contraceptive & reduction in the cases of HIV cases
- Reduction in the number of of HIV cases
- Achievement of target through awareness drive
- Involvement of community and change in perception about the HIV positive cases
- Increase in the number of cases registered in Hospital
- Complete medical assistance to the target group
- Reduction in the usage of used syringes.